Thomas Partey’s agents apologise over Arsenal and Manchester United transfer hint

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - MARCH 10: Thomas Partey of Atletico Madrid speaks to the media during an Athletico Madrid Press Conference at Anfield on March 10, 2020 in Liverpool, United Kingdom. Atletico Madrid will face Liverpool FC in their UEFA Champions League round of 16 second leg match on March 11, 2020. (Photo by Jan Kruger/Getty Images)
Thomas Partey has been linked with both Arsenal and Manchester United (Picture: Getty)

Thomas Partey’s representatives have apologised for a social media post they shared this week which linked the Atletico Madrid midfielder with a possible move to the Premier League.

It’s understood Arsenal are registered an interest in signing Partey this summer and the 26-year-old’s father fuelled the rumours earlier this month by appearing to confirm that his son was in discussions over a switch to the Emirates.

However, reports in Partey’s native Ghana suggest the Atletico Madrid man – who has a €50 million (£47m) release clause in his contract – would actually favour joining Manchester United.

Read the latest updates: Coronavirus news live

Thomas Partey of Atletico de Madrid during the La Liga match between Atletico de Madrid and Villarreal CF at Wanda Metropolitano Stadium on February 23, 2020 in Madrid, Spain. (Photo by Pressinphoto/Icon Sport via Getty Images)
The midfielder’s father talked up a move to Arsenal (Picture: Getty)

Atleti are looking to fend off interest from the Premier League’s elite by tying Partey down to a new long-term deal which would increase his release clause to €100m (£93m)

But Partey’s agency, JJ Sports Managers SL, cast serious doubt over Partey remaining in Madrid on Wednesday as they uploaded an image on their Instagram page, encouraging supporters to ‘pick’ their client’s next club.

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - MARCH 11: Thomas Partey of Atletico Madrid leaves the pitch after the UEFA Champions League round of 16 second leg match between Liverpool FC and Atletico Madrid at Anfield on March 11, 2020 in Liverpool, United Kingdom. (Photo by Michael Regan - UEFA/UEFA via Getty Images)
Partey has a £47m release clause in his contract at Atletico Madrid (Picture: Getty)

The Instagram story was live for several hours before being deleted and the agency later apologised for the post in a short statement.

‘In view of the publication that was made today Wednesday 29 April 2020 on our Instagram account, regarding the future of our player Thomas Partey, from JJ Sport Managers we want to convey that this publication was not approved by the company management,’ it said.

‘An internal investigation has been opened to find out what exactly happened, we are sure that this has not been intentional on the part of any of our workers and it is probably an unfortunate mistake.

‘The publication has been deleted as soon as we have become aware of its existence.

‘In addition, the keys of all our social profiles have been modified to restrict access only to essential personnel.’

Earlier this week, United legend Rio Ferdinand named the Ghana international in his list of dream signings for the club in the summer transfer window.

Financially Man United are in a stronger position than most, because of the way that the club is structured,’ Ferdinand told The Beautiful Game podcast.

‘I’d definitely buy Jadon Sancho. Could you imagine Sancho in that team with him drawing like two or three players to him and then [Marcus] Rashford is playing one-v-one? Oh God. It’s over.

‘I’d maybe go get Partey from Atletico Madrid or [Wilfred] Ndidi from Leicester.

‘I like Saul Niguez. He’s a very, very good player in midfield.

‘And then a centre-back, they still need a centre-back. Whether you go for a young one like a Ben Godfrey or someone like [Kalidou] Koulibaly.

‘I don’t know, it’s difficult.’

Follow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

For more stories like this, check our sport page.

MORE: Fred backs Man Utd team-mate to help him hit goals target

MORE: Michael Owen reveals phone calls with Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher before Manchester United move

No comments