Juventus chief confirms European Super League project is finished after Premier League clubs withdraw

Andre Agnelli has confirmed the European Super League cannot progress without the involvement of the Premier League's 'big six'
Andre Agnelli has confirmed the European Super League cannot progress without the involvement of the Premier League’s ‘big six’ (Picture: Getty)

Andrea Agnelli, the chairman of Juventus and a vice-chairman of the European Super League, has confirmed the breakaway competition cannot progress without the involvement of England’s ‘Big Six’.

Asked by Reuters if the project could go ahead without the Premier League clubs, he said: ‘To be frank and honest no, evidently that is not the case.’

Agnelli had been one of the driving forces behind the hugely controversial tournament which was announced on Sunday with 12 rebel teams confirming their involvement as founding members.

The clubs involved, however, have faced an unprecedented backlash with fans, pundits, politicians and players combining to voice their universal disastisfaction.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson last night accused the English clubs involved effectively forming a ‘cartel’ and threatened legislative action, while hundreds of Chelsea fans congregated outside Stamford Bridge last night to protest ahead of their Premier League game against Brighton.

The Blues, along with the five other English teams, have since confirmed they are withdrawing from the rebel competition, but Agnelli remains wedded to the idea.

‘I remain convinced of the beauty of that project,’ Agnelli added. ‘But admittedly … I mean, I don’t think that that project is now still up and running,” he said.

More to follow…

No comments